RE: major and minor numbers

HI,

A Major number tells about the driver associated with a device. Multiple
devices may be controlled by same driver and so they all will have the
same Major number. While the devices itself are identified by the Minor
number.
For e.g. if you do
ls -l /dev/tty[01]
crw-rw---- 1 root tty 4, 0 Sep 16 14:14 /dev/tty0
crw-rw---- 1 root tty 4, 1 Sep 16 14:15 /dev/tty1

here the  major number for both tty0 and tty1 is 4 while their minor
numbers are 0 and 1 respectively.

here the
Sanjay