Question on schedule() function

Can I use the schedule() function to suspend my driver to allow a user-space process to run? I have an application that simulates my hardware, and it runs with 100% CPU. It polls on a memory buffer to see if the driver has written any data to this. Yes, it's inefficient, but it has the advantage of completely de-coupling the driver from the simulator.

Sometimes the driver needs to pause to allow the simulator to run. Can I use the schedule() function for this? If I call schedule() in my driver, what can I do to make sure that my user process runs before schedule() returns?

--
Timur Tabi
Staff Software Engineer

One thing a Southern boy will never say is,
"I don't think duct tape will fix it."
     -- Ed Smylie, NASA engineer for Apollo 13