Re: UMA and NUMA - Mermory Architeture

Hi, this is my first post, sorry for my english, I'm spanish...
UMA and NUMA are concepts refered to Shared Memory Multiprocessors.
The main difference beetwen de NUMA and UMA memory arquitecture is the location of the Memory. The UMA architecture nodes have first and second cache memory levels joint with the processor, next levels of the memory hierarchy are "in the other side" of the interconnection network. The NUMA architecture defines the node as the Processing Element, with cache lines and a part of the main memory. Then, each node is connected to each other by the network. So, in the NUMA architecture we could say that the memory and the cache are distributed in the nodes, while in the UMA architecture is only the cache that is distributed.
I hope I've been clear enough.
regards
Andre Luiz da Silva wrote:

Hello Friends!

I'm studying the kernel memory management in the Linux Kernel, with the book: "Understanding the *Linux* *Virtual* *Memory* Manager <http://www.linuxmall.com.br/index.php?product_id=2105>", but I don't understading the
"fundamental" direferences between NUMA and UMA memory architeture.

I perform a serach at the Google and the Kernel Documentation (Documentation/vm/numa),
but this make me very confused...

Do Somebody has any explanation about the concepts of NUMA and UMA memory
architeture?

Thanks!!!
Mensaje analizado y protegido, tecnologia antivirus www.trendmicro.es

Mensaje analizado y protegido, tecnologia antivirus www.trendmicro.es