Quilt question about 'new' command

Hi,

I'm trying to learn how to use Quilt with the PDF documentation included
in the Quilt tarball. I'm using version 0.42:

[tpetazzoni@thomas ~]$ quilt --version
0.42

I've read the documentation up to chapter 4 and tried to follow the
example given in this chapter. So I created the following tree:

[tpetazzoni@thomas dummy]$ ls -lR
.:
total 8
-rw-r--r--  1 tpetazzoni dev   51 sep 14 17:24 file.c
drwxr-xr-x  2 tpetazzoni dev 4096 sep 14 17:23 patches/

./patches:
total 0

And then tried to create a new patch, as stated in the documentation
(top of page 5):

[tpetazzoni@thomas dummy]$ quilt new foobar.diff
Usage: quilt [--trace[=verbose]] [--quiltrc=XX] command [-h] ...
       quilt --version
Commands are:

Global options:

--trace
        Runs the command in bash trace mode (-x). For internal debugging.

--quiltrc file
        Use the specified configuration file instead of ~/.quiltrc (or
        /etc/quilt.quiltrc if ~/.quiltrc does not exist).  See the pdf
        documentation for details about its possible contents.

--version
        Print the version number and exit immediately.

And Quilt only throws me the help. According to the manpage, "quilt new
blabla.diff" is a valid command. I'm quite sure I'm doing something
wrong, however nothing in the messages displayed by Quilt allows me to
understand what's wrong, even with the --trace option (doesn't display
more than without the option).

Any idea ?

Thanks for your help,

Sincerly,