make menuconfig when building a kernel with SSH

Hello,

  There are times when I need to build a kernel when a monitor is not
connected to it ; so I am connecting by SSH and try to begin the kernel build process.

Now, many times it happens that I should build a kernel from scratch and I should
run "make menuconfig"  to set the configuration I need.  And many times , after
connecting via SSH and starting "make menuconfig" I see gibrish (sometimes it is
immediately when starting , and sometimes after entering some submenus).

Is there a way to overcome this ?

Regards
John