Re: Message Queue

On 8/30/05, Manjula D <manboot@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> We are planning to use System V message queue as primary IPC for
> our project. We would like to know the following information
>
> 1. Performance impact of using message queues
> 2. We are changing the system configuration to take the max
> message queue size of 2 MB instead of default 16K. Will this
> have any impact on system performance.

Yes, this is bound to have a drastic effect on the performance.
Message queue are cute as long as the data you transfer is not large.

> 3. We have a design where a sender process pumps 1MB of data
> into message queue continuously and the reader reads each
> message and processes the same. We are planning to use message
> queue between this sender and receiver process.Is message queue
> a right choice for this ? If not, what are the drawbacks ?

There will be lots of copy happeneing between kernel space and process
addr space.... I would suggest you use a shared memory  as you can
achieve zero-copy in that way. A combination of semaphores and shared
memory would be ideal in this case.

> 4. In our system, we are creating 8 message queues of size 500KB
> each and a single 2MB message queue. In the worst case all the
> message queues are always filled up.  Will the performance be
> affected in this case.

Other than the fact that this entire space is coming from
non-swappable memory (in the kernel), I dont think there is much of an
effect due to such large queues....

> -Thanks

> Get your own "800" number
> Voicemail, fax, email, and a lot more
> http://www.ureach.com/reg/tag
>
> --

The difference between Theory and Practice is more so in Practice than
in Theory.