Mouse driver issues

I've been looking for an excuse to dig into the linux kernel that would
affect me, and I started using the 2.6 kernel, and found a reason...

Briefly -- In 2.4.29 kernel, everything works fine with my mouse, with or
without my linksys kvm switch.  In 2.6.12.4 (and earlier 2.6 kernels that I
could get to compile) the mouse doesn't work when I have the kvm switch
attached (bypassing the kvm switch, the mouse works fine).

I've tried changing the mouse 'rate' in the driver from '100' to '60', but
that did not do anything to alleviate the problem (in fact, I got the same
'lost synchronization - dropping 3 bytes' message.  The mouse also jumps all
over the screen whether I use X11 or I temporarily install and run 'gpm' to
get console mouse.

It looks like the mouse driver structure in the 2.6 kernel is significantly
different than the 2.4 driver, but I plan on studying both as I work on this
problem.

Before I navigate this territory alone, and remembering the following about
me -- Years and years ago I was a "professional" kernel programmer working
on UNIX (SVR4/BSD) kernels, and I have never really studied the linux
kernel.  When I worked on the UNIX kernel, I had a team of experts (I was
junior/scrub-like) I could consult when I got lost.  I would like to know if
this list is where I might be able to get help as I work through this issue
and similar issues.

For example, in the psmouse driver, there's an interrupt routine that gets
called from who-knows-where on who-knows-what condition.  I'm wondering if
this is an interrupt that is fired at a regular interval by a timer chip, or
by an event like the mouse moving on the ps/2 port (???).  It's hard (being
unfamiliar with the structure of the kernel -- though I did by the 2nd
edition of Robert Love's book which I'll read as time allows) to do this
because the kernel is relatively large (I believe the source tarball was
something like 32mb compressed).

-Rob