sleep function and timer in C

Hi,
can anyone tell me if there's a relation between the sleep() C function and
the implementation of timers in Linux?
I know there's a relation between alarm() system call and timers, as alarm()
calls the kernel function settimer() that initializes real_timer field of the
calling process.
In this case, I can set the timer calling alarm() from user space and then, if
necessary, modify the real_timer field from kernel space.
In other word, I want to know if the behavior of sleep() is analogous, in
order to implement such a mechanism in a simplified way.
Thanks.
Vincenzo Mallozzi.

Yahoo! Messenger: chiamate gratuite in tutto il mondo
http://it.beta.messenger.yahoo.com