Re: FTP management from C code

On Thu, 2005-07-21 at 10:13 +0200, Garcia Jérémie wrote:
> Hi everybody,
> I'm a linux newbie and I need some help.
> I hope this question is not too stupid but I can't find any piece of info on the web.
> I want to develop a C code in which one I need to do a "ping" test ant then do FTP transfer.
> Some OS as VxWorks offers a library to do that (pingLib & ftpLib). Does Linux is able to
> give the same features?
> If not how can I achieve that goal?
>
> ps: there is the "system()" command but it is too restrictive. So any other idea?

Apart from the fact, that your question has nothing to do with
"Linux" (in whatever interpretation) or the Linux-Kernel but with
Unixens in general:
    What do you mean with "too restrictive"?

The (POSIX-defined) system() Library call allows you to call any
(installed) program, especially `ping` and/or `wget`, `curl`, `lftp`,
`ncftpget` or whatever simple ftp-client you want to use.
If you (for whatever reason) do not want to call external programs (and
I can't actually see any possible reason why you cannot live with
calling 2 external standard tools), there is also libcurl (but I never
used it personnally). And it should be quite easily possible to google
for C code to do a `ping` (or write one on your own - it is nothing
m,ore than "send an ICMP packet and wait for the answer or timeout`).

	Bernd
          Embedded Linux Development and Services