Re: Alsa..

On Thu, Jul 21, 2005 at 08:23:47AM +0100, R.Kaushik Kumar wrote:
> > > I need a simple sound application which directly
> > > communicates with the alsa sound driver, *not*
> > > using the alsa user lib API.
>
> > Bypassing the library defeats that point.
>
> I understand that. But I am actually implementing an
> user level sound driver, which is still
> in its rudimentary stages.

I fail to see why, but anyway. Is this a student excersise?

> I have a simple driver API
> and at this stage alsa user lib does not conform to
> that API. I should have been more clear in my first
> mail. I need a simple application to test my driver.

Instead of porting Alsa to userspace, take the old OSS drivers and port
them to userspace. They're much simpler and have a well defined API to
userspace. And there are more applications that work with OSS
(/dev/dsp, etc.) than with Alsa (the OSS emulation layer in Alsa is
used quite often).

Erik

--
Erik Mouw