Re: regarding USB to serial data

On 18 Jul 2005 11:43:43 +0530, Anurag Verma wrote:
> Hi
> very ery Thanks for ur info.
> but we are thinking of purchasing a embedded device and insert some
> intelligence using RT Linux.
> Tell me if u know any processors that does these kind of things.
> Thanks and Regards
> Anurag Verma

Anurag,

I was not invovlved in the programming, but on that same project we
needed to get serial info from a Barcode Scanner converted to USB.

We used a PIC chip.  I'm not sure which one we used, but 6 are listed at:
http://www.microchip.com/ParamChartSearch/chart.aspx?branchID=111&mid=10&lang=en&pageId=74

The PIC16C765 looks to have a low-speed USB interface and a serial
interface(USART), so that is the cheapest PIC chip that satisfies your
I/O needs.

You will notice that even the most expensive PIC18F4550, only has 32K
of ROM and 2K or RAM, so running Linux on something this small is out
of the question.

I assume using PIC chips requires assembly language programming.

Hope That Helps.
Greg
--
Greg Freemyer