Re: Physical memory layout

Hello,

Please answer on the list, and not to me directly.

Anurag Verma wrote:

Since kernel space is 1GB so why only 896 MB . where the 128MB is going for?

I think it's some space for the bounce buffers. Maybe other things, but I don't know what exactly.

Another thing is, can i allocate only 896MB from kmalloc at the max.

No, you can't. First of all, because on the 896MB, a couple of megabytes is used to store the kernel and its data structures. And then, because kmalloc() only allows you to allocate 128 Kb at once.

Again, I *strongly* advise you to read Mel Gorman's book, where such questions are answered in detail.

Sincerly,

Thomas
--
Thomas Petazzoni