problems with x windows and compiling kernel

Hi everybody,

Last days I've been working in memory management with kernel 2.4.18 and I've got some problems. Firstly, I've lost X windows, when I boot linux, it tries to inicialize X windows and after two or three tries, A message appears saying that it has not been possible to run X windows and I get the text mode. After that problem, I tried to recompile the kernel in order to solve these problems but when doing make dep I got the following message:

" unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at virtual address 00000001
<0> kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!
In interrupt handler - not syncing "

I don't know if the changes that I've maid to buffer.c and memory.c have affected or if it's a hardware problem, I mean, a problem of the hard drive. I have a partition in the same hard drive running windows and now it's already working without problems.

Any ideas about what is happening?
Do I have to reinstall Linux to solve this?

Thanks in advance.