Re: How to replace a kernel built-in function

Shrinand Javadekar wrote:

"replacing system calls is very evil!"

I dont have an answer, but just an additional question:

Why is replacing the default system call evil? I keep hearing this,
but have never quite found a convincing answer to this

-Shri

Hi Shri,
It is evil because it is one with the dark side of the force! Do not be lured by the dark side, young Shri... You are a Jedi!

Ok, jokes apart, why would you want to do this? Every syscall has a purpose... the only reason to replace one is that the meaning of the syscall changed (that will never happen). You might want to change its its implementation... but that should be done in the body of that function... not by writing a module tht replaces it at runtime.

Besides, imagine a system that behaves one way when the module is inserted and another way when it i not. This is plain bad design, and as I said before, One with the dark side ;)

ciao
Rahul