VFS lookup

Hi all:
the inode->i_op->lookup(dir, dentry, nd) is used to look for an entry specified by <dentry> in the directory specified by <dir>
this lookup operation is controled by the nd.flags, it must not look for a file in the middle of the path and it must look for a file in the last component if the operation is open for example
I'm implementing i_op->lookup for my fs that keeps the directories and the files in separate tables so the lookup operation must know which table it must search so can anyone guides me what are the flags passed to (inode->i_op->lookup) that makes a condition on the entry to lookup for to be a directory or a file or can be any of them
I tried to trace the lookup flags from the start of the path_lookup till the actual lookup but i lost the way, besides i couldn't interpret the meaning of some flags
Thanks for helping newbies
MHD