Re: Re: Re: problem with process and threads

> On Fri, Mar 18, 2005 at 09:16:29AM -0500, Gopu Bhaskar hit keys to
> express the following:

> >                              ^^^^^^^^^   Sorry I made a typo
> > here, I meant "should not be"
> At what level should this distinction (not) be made?

Sorry for all the confusion all I wanted to write was that processes
and so called user threads should not be distingushed from each other.

> Kernel threads cannot access user space at all. They are just for
> kernel tasks.
> There is a marked and clear distinction between both of these. For
> example, when
> a kernel thread is created, kernel_thread() hand crafts a pt_regs
> structure and
> call do_fork(). They cannot be traced (CLONE_UNTRACED).
> I agree with you here. But in linux, the kernel (to keep matters simple and
> elegant) has taken a stance of being agnostic to differences
> between threads and
> processes.
> What do you mean? Threads do not share VM?

This is what the clone man page says.

              If CLONE_VM is not set, the child process runs in a
              separate  copy  of  the memory space of the calling
              process at the time of  clone.   Memory  writes  or
              file  mappings/unmappings  performed  by one of the
              processes do not affect the other, as with fork

> --
> "The significant owl hoots in the night."
> (Guards! Guards!)

Sign-up for Ads Free at Mail.com
http://promo.mail.com/adsfreejump.htm