Re: Re: Re: problem with process and threads

> > There is nothing that prevents me from creating a user thread
> > without using CLONE_VM. If i specify CLONE_VM to clone system
> > call it only makes things faster. I strongly believe that user
> > thread and kernel thread should be distinguished from each other.
                             ^^^^^^^^^
Sorry I made a typo here, I meant "should not be"

> > The term user thread is implementation specific. Mostly clone
> > system call is used for creating threads. see man clone. You
> > would find that you can create threads that share everything else
> > but VM.
>
> Then can you tell me if without CLONE_VM bit set, a user thread can be formed
> then is there any way that i can know that this is thread or a process.
> is there any way at all.

Depends on how you 'define' a process and a thread. If this could
be done surely it would have been one of the options of ps command.

Sign-up for Ads Free at Mail.com
http://promo.mail.com/adsfreejump.htm