Re: IO-APIC issue

Erik Mouw wrote:

On Thu, Mar 10, 2005 at 10:22:50AM -0800, Usman S. Ansari wrote:

My dual processor pentium III machine ran Redhat 9.0 SMP kernel (2.4
series) fine. On upgrading to FC 3, if I boot with 2.6.9 SMP kernel,
mouse, sound and ethernet stops working. If I boot with 2.6.9 UP
kernel everything is cool.

On investigation, I found out that UP kernel sets up XT-PIC and SMP
IO-APIC.

With IO-APIC e.g. although driver module is loaded for
RTL-8139/8139C/8139C ethernet card, but there are no interrupts
received (cat /proc/interrupts shows 0 for eth0).

Boot with "noapic" option and see if that solves the problem.

This solved the problem, all the devices alive again. (Posting for documentation purpose)

At this point, I need to look at the code changes between 2.4 and 2.6
series regarding IO-APIC setup. Before I do that I would like to ask
you guys about any known issues or for any advice ?

IIRC 2.4 got the IRQ routing tables from the MP tables, while 2.6 gets it from ACPI tables. Both tables should contain the same information, but the BIOS could be broken (which is not uncommon). Try to upgrade the BIOS and see if that helps. Or try to boot "acpi=noirq" and see if that solves the problem.

If all else fails, ask on the relevant FC3 mailing list.

Erik

--
http://www.beconvinced.com

-- Kernelnewbies: Help each other learn about the Linux kernel. Archive: http://mail.nl.linux.org/kernelnewbies/ FAQ: http://kernelnewbies.org/faq/