Re: Oops & Panic Logging

On Wed, Feb 23, 2005 at 10:57:39AM +0100, sunil m wrote:
> Is it possible to log oops and panic messages into some file in an
> eeprom device and do a reset instead of getting it printed on console
> and hangs? Will the system be stable enough to do so while an
> oops/panic happens ?

Oopses are already logged into a file through syslog. Panics can't be
logged into a file because the whole reason for a panic is that there
is no sane way to continue (i.e.: continueing would create more damage
than there already is).

> getting those messages into the host machine through the serial
> console is fine. But is it possible the linux exception handlers ( or
> panic() function ) call some APIs of my driver so as to write those
> information into a eeprom device ?

No. The best thing to use is serial console or netconsole.

Erik

--
Erik Mouw
J.A.K.Mouw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx  mouw@xxxxxxxxxxxx