Re: ldd 3rd ed. query

On Mon, Feb 14, 2005 at 08:04:21PM -0800, Om wrote:
> Hi all,
> I am wondering whether ldd 3rd Ed. is out. According to o'reilly, it is. But
> according to bookpool, amazon, BN, ..etc it is not. Orielly does not seem to
> offer any discount, whereas bookpool/amazon/bn.com ..etc do.
>
> I got the 13th chapter (from orielly web site).
> http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/linuxdrive3/toc.html
>
> Is this book going to be free as 2nd Ed...? I read from lwn.net that this
> will not be GPL-ed. If so, how long before we will get the electronic version?

Yes, it will be available free online like the 2nd edition.

No, it will not be under a GPL license, as the GPL doesn't work so well
for published works.  It will be under a creative commons license (can't
remember the exact one at the moment, sorry.)

And no, I don't know exactly when it will be available online, give them
a bit of time to get it set up properly.

As for if the book is out yet, I know of a few people that have a copy,
but I don't yet (and I'm one of the authors.)

O'Reilly is announcing the book at LWE this week, so perhaps they are
waiting until then to seed the publishing channel with it.

thanks,

greg k-h