Re: How to stop ethernet timeout on non-networked kernel boot?

> The fact that "INIT: version 2.85 booting" does not show up in the
> no-network output makes me think it is not the run-level scripts but
> the kernel that does the endless dhcp query. Can you judge which one
> it is from the output below?

I believe you are correct. I recall seeing an option for an in-kernel
DHCP client in older kernels. I think it was intended for use in
machines using an nfs root, but I cannot seem to find it anymore in
the configuration. Did you build your own kernel, or is this a stock
kernel? If so from which distribution?

I found this post on the lkml
http://www.cs.helsinki.fi/linux/linux-kernel/2003-20/0592.html

I checked out the source referenced there and found the option in
Drivers->Networking support->kernel level autoconfiguration. Maybe you
should disable this and just leave it up to userspace? (and seriously
check out ifplugd, it rocks, also waproamd by the same guy if you use
wireless)

~Jake B