Re: How to stop ethernet timeout on non-networked kernel boot?

On Thursday 20 January 2005 20:06, Bahadir Balban wrote:

> My observation was that ethernet and dhcp query were made before the
> init process was actually initiated. This sounded logical to me
> because the kernel can mount a filesystem via nfs and may need
> networking before actually any filesystem is setup. This also caused
> me to think that runlevels wouldn't matter since they start up
> according to /etc/init.d directory configurations.
> Am I correct in these statements?

If you are booting off the net or getting your root FS over the net then
yes, but that isn't what normally happens.

> Secondly, if you can specify which runlevel you want to run via the
> bootloader, does this mean that bootloader passes commandline options
> to the kernel to achieve this? My knowledge on relation with the
> kernel and run-levels is a bit limited so your clarification would be
> very helpful.

Yes the boot loader can pass all sorts of options to the kernel and to
init.  The kernel doesn't know anything about runlevels.  That is what
init does.  /proc/cmdline will contain all the arguments passed to the
kernel by the boot loader.  Both the kernel and init will ignore
anything they do not understand.  To find out what init does for the
various runlevels see /etc/inittab and its manpage.