From: kernelnewbies-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:kernelnewbies-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Thekkedath
Gopakumar-agt026
Sent: Friday, January 21, 2005 9:19 AM
To: sanjayk; kernelnewbies@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: Scatter-gather NIC

> What exactly is meant by scatter-gather?
> Does it means reading or writing data from mulitple locations
> simultaneously by the NIC.

One of the constraints in DMA is that the physical memory buffer sould be
contiguous.
A device with scatter gather capability allows the programmer to allocate
many buffers
(each of which is contiguous of course) at various memory locations for DMA.
For example,
in a network card, the driver writer can have many software buffers intented
to hold say packets
received by the device. The device knows the starting address of each of
these buffers (how to feed
this addresses to the device is device dependent) and on receiving a packet
will DMA it to the next available
buffer.