how_much_to_cache?

Hi all,
I have a simple question in mind. I want to introduce
client side caching in any network or cluster file
system. The caches are in-memory cache not secondary
cache as in AFS but as sprite.
My question is all the cache is in kernel space and if
large file happens to mmap or read/write say 2 GB etc.
What would be consequence if there is great limit on
my cache.
We know kernel space virtual address are from 3GB to
4GB. If i start allocating cache block as soon as i'm
getting file from storage node and if my cache size is
5GB then this will hang the system as kernel cant have
that much addresses refer to. And in that case we need
either CPU to address 64 bit or something like that.
But even then there is limit on cacheing the file
data.
So how much shall i keep my cache size to have best
performance.
I hope i'm pretty clear in what i asked?
Thanks
Prasanna