Re: The detail of a process being suspended

On Thursday 13 January 2005 14:15, Noah yan wrote:
> I try to use the signal to suspend/resume processes for a user-level
> time-sharing scheduling code. I have some newbies questions and
> appreciate some of you could help me out this. Thanks very much in
> advance:
>
> When a process is suspened manually by signal, what is it like other
> than stoping execution?

That is basically it.

> Is is stil in memory or swapped out?

It could get swapped out, but need not be so.

> What is
> a suspended process to the scheduler? Is is true that the scheduler
> will never consider it before being assumed?

The scheduler only looks at runable processes.  A stopped process isn't
runable, so it ignores them.

> What is the difference between a suspended process with a sleeping
> process(like calling sleep syscall), is a sleeping process in memory
> or swapped?

A sleeping process could be swapped out, but it certainly need not be.

A sleeping process is waiting for some event to occur (e.g. I/O
completed).  when that happens it gets woken up and it becomes runable
and then the scheduler will consider it for execution.

A stopped process will remain so until it is continued. e.g. receives a
SIGCONT signal.  Think of it as a special case of sleeping.