Speeding up configuring the kernel

Is there a program that can look at my hardware and aid
selecting some kernel build options?

It's a real pain trying to recall what I need to build. It was okay a
few years ago when there were less drivers and options but the kernel
is only getting bigger and each release take a bit longer. As a result I
tend to build lots of modules I probably don't need because it can take
up to 1/2 and hour to go through the whole kernel selecting stuff by
hand.

I have to hold in my head the menu tree (i.e. Device Drivers ->
character devices), what hardware I have or may use, and whether to
build as a module or not; is it stable enough to build in or will Alsa
have a later module I might want to use etc. It's a lot to remember,
though not as impressive as some Windows Registry monkeys can recall.

My stream of thought might go like this:

"hmm, coda network filesystem... I was thinking of trying that....
what's this, security models.. probably don't need that. SCSI device
drivers oh god there's hundereds which one do I need!? USB storage...
now I seem to remember that the module I need isn't named what my
hardware is; not because it uses the same chipset but because it just
works, o god, time for google" - and so forth.

It's ok when you're used to your system but when new hardware comes in
or new features (i.e. udev) come in it can take too long to find out
what's going on.

What would be handy would be a way to identify the kernel
options required by present hardware and even software. For example, if
a ReiserFS filesystem is mounted it would be nice to be reminded to
build support for that... and even more handy if it explained that
Reiser4 is not ReiserFS ;)

Anyone aware of such a project cataloging hardware identifiers or so
forth? Or just anything to speed the process? Even if it's just
something that looks at the present /proc/config.gz and sees what
modules are actually being used, or what device drivers will be needed.