Re: trace kernel function

Jan Hudec <bulb@xxxxxx> writes:

> On Sun, Dec 12, 2004 at 22:36:25 +0530, Shourya P. Bhattacharya wrote:
>> On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 07:21:53 -0800 (PST), Alaios <alaios@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> > Ne problem has arisen.... When i call  a kernel
>> > function the module crash... Do u know an easy way for
>> > tracing the execution?
>>
>> Try out  the kernel debugger "kdb".  I have never used it but  should
>> be useful. Here is a slightly dated but good  article on it
>> http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-kdbug/
>> btw, can't  simple printk statements inserted in the code solve your
>> tracing problem?
>> I am a kernelnewbie and just sharing my ideas, there may be other
>> better ways of solving your problem.
>
> kdb is the ultimate solution. It's disadvantage is, that you need _TWO_
> computers connected with a serial wire to use it.

Are you thinking of kgdb?  That's allows source-level debugging and
has been most often used over a serial cable, with one host being
debugged and the other host running gdb.

Recently, they've been working on using ethernet instead of the serial
connection, but I'm not up to speed on the latest progress.

The kdb has always worked on a single host, but it's an instruction
level debugger.  Still, it can be handy.

> The easiest solution is to use user-mode linux
> (http://user-mode-linux.sf.net). It is a linux kernel running in
> a normal process, so you can attach normal gdb to it.

I had trouble with that the first time I tried it, but I wasn't using
SKAS.  Are you using SKAS when you debug using UML?

--
  Ed L Cashin <ecashin@xxxxxxxxxx>