Re: Why do some kernels need "-DMODVERSIONS -include linux/modversions.h" ?

Kiran Kumar Immidi wrote:

>>1) What is it about this particular kernel that requires modversion.h
>>included?
>
>   It was compiled with CONFIG_MODVERSIONS enabled.

I have several different kernels that have CONFIG_MODVERSIONS enabled, but only this one requires me to include modversions.h in every file.

>>2) Is there any characteristic of any of the kernel header or source
>>files that I can scan for to allow me to know in advance whether I need
>>modversions.h?
>
> As stated above, you can check in the config of that particular kernel.

That's not going to work, because CONFIG_MODVERSIONS does not uniquely explain the behavior.

> Also, you can check symbols in /proc/ksyms, they should have a _Rxxxxxx
> suffix.

That only works if I'm running the kernel I'm compiling for. If I do a cross-compile, then this won't work.

Also, it turns out that Fedora Core 2 and Core 3 are both missing /proc/kallsyms, so that wouldn't work at all.

--
Timur Tabi
Staff Software Engineer