How does correct device driver get called?

Although not new to kernels in general, this is the first time I have started
to look in depth at linux.

I have a problem (reported to bugzilla.kernel.org as #3741) with cd burning,
so I am reading to code of both cdrecord and the kernel.  I can see that
cdrecord is doing an SG_IO ioctl function into the kernel - what I haven't
been able to do is figure out how that makes its way from the original call
interface into the appropriate driver, via cdrom modules.

I can pick up snapshots of its progress - for instance the sg_io function in
drivers/block/scsi_ioctl.c - and then in to blk_execute_rq in ll_rw_blk.c,
but I am not sure how it gets to this point, or how it progresses from there.

Is there any text out there on the web that gives an overview of how linux
processes these io requests?
--
Alan Chandler
alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx