Re: access memory notification

On Tue, 9 Nov 2004 14:20:49 +0100 (CET), Vincenzo Mallozzi
<vinjunior@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In other word, I'm looking for assembler or C or kernel
> instructions that, given a memory address/range (the share address space),
> return a notification every time a threads access it or, better, try to
> access it.

That's not going to be as simple as it might intuitively seem to be,
because the kernel does not manage every memory access to a shared
address space. Once the shared address space is setup correctly, then
access is massaged by the MMU according to page tables which will
allow access - so the only straightforward way to modify this is to
bodge the kernel page table handling routines such that every such
access generates a page fault, adding some logic in the handler to log
the access as having occured.

That's not very pretty.

Do you care about performance or can an idea like the above work for you?

Jon.