Re: SOS - Question on Dual Processors

l x wrote:
My question are:

- do we have to recompile Linux 9 (lk2.4) to let it support dual CUPs?
A. That depends. Check your .config file in /usr/src/linux_version/ directory and see if CONFIG_SMP=y is there. If its not there you'll have to recompile the kernel.

- do we need to modify our code (both kernel drivers and user space application) to take advantage of dual processors?
A. Normally you should not have any probems with the user space applications. However if you are using a lot of threads then check for any possible race conditions or deadlocks. And if there are none, you can improve your program efficiency by makeing use of the SMP API
- should we adjust any jumpers on the motherboard to use dual processors?
A. Modern motherboards do not require such setting to be done in the hardware. However, it is best to check your motherboard manual and maybe even BIOS settings.

-- Thanking You, Raseel Bhagat Software Engineer Competency Development Sasken Communication Technologies Limited No- 690, "Goldhill Square" Bommanahalli, Hosur Main Road, Bangalore - 560068 INDIA Email: rabhagat@xxxxxxxxxx URL: http://www.sasken.com

"SASKEN RATED THE BEST EMPLOYER IN THE COUNTRY by the BUSINESS TODAY Mercer Survey 2004"

SASKEN BUSINESS DISCLAIMER This message may contain confidential, proprietary or legally Privileged information. In case you are not the original intended Recipient of the message, you must not, directly or indirectly, use, Disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of this message and you are requested to delete it and inform the sender. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender unless otherwise stated. Nothing contained in this message shall be construed as an offer or acceptance of any offer by Sasken Communication Technologies Limited ("Sasken") unless sent with that express intent and with due authority of Sasken. Sasken has taken enough precautions to prevent the spread of viruses. However the company accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email