Re: Increasing Shared Memory

On Mon, 1 Nov 2004 09:00:42 -0500 (EST), Rik van Riel <riel@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, 1 Nov 2004, Vishal Soni wrote:

> > 3. As we know that the user space process can't access kernel address space and when shmat system call is
> >    used the shared memory is mapped to the Process's Virtual Address space,
> >    Now the question is from where in the memory does shared memory come from... i mean does it come from
> >    User Space or Kernel Space.........or from process's Data Segment.... ??????
>
> Shared memory areas are virtual memory.  Kernel address space
> is virtual memory.
>
> It is common for the same page of physical memory to be mapped
> both by userspace processes and by the kernel.

Rik,

I think he was more asking ``where does the memory come from?'' and,
excepting the points you mention above, it's most important to
displace any notions that userspace is somehow different from a
process' data segment (from the mail above) - userspace only deals in
one kind of memory, virtual memory, but it's mapped in different vmas.

Cheers,

Jon.