Re: set blksize of block device

Jon Masters wrote:

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 23:24:59 -0500, Lei Yang
<lya755@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

However, typically the block size is 1KB, now I want to set it to 512
or 256. Can I do it?

Linux supports variable hardware block sizes of up to PAGE_SIZE (4K on most 32bit systems but not always) and typical devices use 512 byte sectors in the case of disks, with larger mass storage devices such as optical drives using several KB. What is it that you actually want to do though - vary the physical block size used?

Jon.

I want to set the block size of ramdisk. However, I realized in rd.c, the hardsect is set to 512, thus the new block size cannot be less than 512. If I change that in rd.c and recompile, can I safely say that I could set the block size to smaller value without causing dramatic performance degrade?

Thanks,
Lei

-- Kernelnewbies: Help each other learn about the Linux kernel. Archive: http://mail.nl.linux.org/kernelnewbies/ FAQ: http://kernelnewbies.org/faq/