Re: Increasing Shared Memory

On Mon, 1 Nov 2004 11:49:45 +0530, Vishal Soni
<vishal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> 1. Will this changing of Shared Memory and Page Size give any qualms to the
> system performance or working??

You can't just change the PAGE_SIZE without changing all code which
updates the hardware page tables to set the corresponding bitfields
which deal with that size. Note that even then, you'll only be able to
use sizes which the underlying hardware supports - I'm not sure
whether such AMD processors support 16K page sizes, but they might.

> 2. Is there anything i shud consider or change along with tuning above Macro
> values?

You'll need to overhaul the page table handing code for your platform
in arch/asm.

> where in the memory does shared memory come from

>    User Space or Kernel Space.........or from process's Data Segment....

Shared memory is regular userspace memory which is shared between
several processes through page table mappings, but it's not kernel
memory any more than any other regular user memory is so. It's worth
noting that the "process's Data Segment" is simply regular user memory
also but just marked as being part of the corresponding vma.

I think it's worth reading a book on Linux Virtual Memory - e.g.
Understanding the Linux Virtual Memory Manager - before attempting to
proceed with these modifications.

Cheers,

Jon.