Re: thread awareness of the scheduler

On Thu, Oct 14, 2004 at 13:10:42 +0300, Momchil Velikov wrote:
> Jan Hudec wrote:
> >Yes. And it is the *SOLE* reason for the difference in ps output. Well,
> >in fact, the manager thread is also gone and some ABI is being used so
> >it's all faster. But the basic principle -- that each thread is
> >a process -- has not changed.
>
> The term "process" is used inappropriately, or as a shorcut to the more
> appropriate term "Linux kernel schedulable entity".

Yes, it is. I should have used the term "task".

> A process is a collection of resources, which include executable image
> (a.k.a. program), address space, file descriptors, environment
> variables, current working directory, atexit cleanup handlers[1], etc. A
> process is a place, not an activity. OTOH, a thread is an activity,
> which happens in a particular place, i.e. process. Threads share the
> abovementioned resources, thus they are part of the same process and are
> not processes themselves.

Except the identity of a "process" in this meaning is rather blured in
linux, since two "tasks" (schedulable entitied -- threads reserved for
meaning pthread threds) can share some resources and not others.

> Thus the above "principle" is not and was never true, according to the
> established[2] definition of "process". It's simply someone choose to
> call threads "processes", but forgot to invent a term for processes.

Ok. Each thread, in pthread meaning of thread, is a task, in kernel
scheduler meaning of a task.

						 Jan 'Bulb' Hudec <bulb@xxxxxx>