Re: contributing to the kernel

On Wed, Oct 13, 2004 at 15:01:26 +0500, Zeeshan Ali wrote:
> Hello,
>    I wanted to contribute to the kernel docs. I know how to write
> articles in docbook and to translate it, but I wanted to know which
> tools kernel guys use to generate the API references from the
> comments.

The comments are parsed by custom script in scripts/. The format is
described somewhere. If nowhere else, it's described in a comment in the
script itself. The script is scripts/kernel-doc (it's a perl script).

>    Furthermore, normally to contribute to a project, one need to get
> the latest (cvs/svn/etc) version of the project, hack on it and then
> either commit their changes (IF they have the write access) or submit
> the patch to the devel list. How things go in the kernel world? Do i
> need to have an up2date copy of the kernel all the time to contribute
> to it?

Much kernel development is done simply on the most recent released
(including the -pre and -rc versions). However kernel is in
a revision-control-system now. It uses bitkeeper. You should be able to
create your own branch in bitkeeper, work on it and then tell
appropriate maintainer to merge it. There is introduction to bitkeeper
in Documentation/BK-usage. There are also some scripts there, that you
want to use if you use bitkeeper.

						 Jan 'Bulb' Hudec <bulb@xxxxxx>