contributing to the kernel

Hello,
   I wanted to contribute to the kernel docs. I know how to write
articles in docbook and to translate it, but I wanted to know which
tools kernel guys use to generate the API references from the
comments.

   Furthermore, normally to contribute to a project, one need to get
the latest (cvs/svn/etc) version of the project, hack on it and then
either commit their changes (IF they have the write access) or submit
the patch to the devel list. How things go in the kernel world? Do i
need to have an up2date copy of the kernel all the time to contribute
to it?