Re: RAM or "empty"?

> > >Is there a way to find the PHYSICAL ADDRESSES of
> > all
> > >the devices used in a Computer ?
> >
> >    does cat /proc/iomem serves the purpose ?

Well, i think /proc/iomem is a list of virtual address. If you're intending
to write a device, i think it won't be helpfull, because you should
register the entry for your device (with request_mem_region()), i.e, you
should already know the physical address before your device can get an
entry in iomem.

> Also , does  /proc/ioports represent IO-mapped
> PHYSICAL memory addresses ,
> similar to the  the Memory-mapped PHYSICAL memory
> addresses in /proc/iomem ?
>
> ~> cat /proc/ioports
> 0000-001f : dma1
> 0020-003f : pic1

ioports aren't virtual address. They dont represent a memory region;
they have special access functions.

> So you mean to say the Page tables being setup
> during initialization at boot up would take care
> of this dynamically or would this require a kernel
> code change ( which file )?

it seems to me this question isn't leading you where you want to get,
but... AFAIK page tables are used to schedule process; the process
status can be exchanged between RAM and disk(swap), ie, a page table
can be its physical address changed every time. I don't which files of
code have a code for this, but i think, if you're intending to
understand such code, will be helpfull to understanding memoru
management before:
http://www.tldp.org/LDP/tlk/mm/memory.html
http://www.tldp.org/LDP/khg/HyperNews/get/memory/linuxmm.html

Regards,