Re: error_code asm

On Tuesday 28 September 2004 22.49, Timur Tabi wrote:
> Michael Brennan wrote:
> > error_code:
> >  pushl %ds
> >  pushl %eax
> >  xorl %eax, %eax
> >  pushl %ebp
> >  pushl %edi
> >  pushl %esi
> >  pushl %edx
> >  decl %eax   # eax = -1
> >  pushl %ecx
> >  pushl %ebx
> >
> > My question is why the 'decl %eax' is 4 lines after the clearing of eax
> > 'xorl %eax %eax'. Can't it just be put right after xorl?
>
> It's for CPU pipeline optimization.

ok. i see.

Can anyone tell me where I can read more about optimizing for pipelining? I
searched the internet and looked in the intel specifications, but I only find
explanations on how the pipelining and prefetching works, not how to optimize
for it.

Could someone at least tell me how the optimization works in this example? (if
its not far too complex, then I'll forget about it)

/Michael