Serial terminal - loss of buffer on exit (re-post)

I am having trouble understanding the behaviour of a serial terminal.

Almost everything works OK. I have modified "stty" settings give appropriate handshake signals and no data is lost that way.

I have also set closing_wait infinite with setserial.

BUT...

When the shell (or the owning process) is closed, what remains in the buffer is discarded.

To test this I will flood the output, then immediately exit.
The end of the buffer is lost, never received.

I want the device to remain open until it has output all data in the buffer.

I am trying to understand whether this can be re-configured to avoid the loss of data or if this is expected behaviour.

Does someone have some insight into how this is supposed to work? Or failing that, have some pointers?

--
---
Christian