Re: request_queue

On 19 Sep 2004 12:18:04 -0000, sanjayk <tousanjay@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The block devices maintains "request queues" for I/O.
> Can we have any number of queuues for a single device.

As far as I know, it's only possible to have one request queue per
device because the kernel will do a simple lookup for the queue
associated with /dev/hda or whatever - I'm not sure why you'd want
more than one queue anyway since within the driver you are quite able
to pull requests off and munge them in to whatever internal weird
pipelining you want.

I'm dealing with some code at the moment that uses a kernel thread to
handle requests that get pulled off the queue for a device - and it's
quite disgusting.

> i.e, if i have a single hard disk, will there be a single request
> queue maintained for that hard disk

Yes.

Jon.