RE: kernel_thread

Lets say a process in userspace executes a WRITe call and it puts data ( a pointer in user memory) in a queue. The kernel thread is waiting on that queue and when it wakes up it wants to copy data from that user space pointer using copy_from_user can it do it or not ?

-----Original Message-----
From: kernelnewbies-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:kernelnewbies-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Chirag Kantharia
Sent: Friday, August 20, 2004 11:52 AM
To: kernelnewbies@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: kernel_thread

On Fri, Aug 20, 2004 at 11:05:05AM +0530, Nilanjan Roychowdhury wrote:
| > Can I access the user space data using copy_from_user from a
| > Kernel_thread ??
| No.  Exactly whose user-space would the kernel thread access?

kernel threads don't run in context of a user process, and so, which
user space data, do you wish to acces from kernel thread?

Things might be more clear, if you talk about your intentions. What do
you wish to achieve, through the kernel thread and data exchange
between the thread and the userspace?

--
Chirag Kantharia, puggy.symonds.net/~chyrag/