Re: Problem rebuilding Red Hat kernel

Arjan van de Ven wrote:

ext3 is always modular in the RH kernels,

Doesn't that mean that boot-time fscks will take much longer because the kernel will think the partitions are all ext2 and won't check the journal? After recompiling the kernel with ext3 support built-in, fscks were much faster. I didn't think the RH kernels had this problem.

> the RHEL3 smp kernel has 64Gb
support enabled... so that looks right

That's strange - our driver doesn't support high memory, so it doesn't work if 64GB support is turned on, and yet it works with RHEL3 SMP.

Is there a way I can ask a currently running kernel if 64GB support is enabled? I need to compare results mong all the Linux distributions we support. It's pretty obvious now that I'm confused as to what's going on in these kernels.

--
Timur Tabi
Staff Software Engineer