RE: Help - does module run as a single thread process?

Thanks for the information.  It helps a lot!

Just want to make sure I understand it.  Could you
please confirm or correct me on the following two
questions:

- on a lk2.4 uni-processor box.  Can we say only one
function, which could be kernel's or my module's (my
module is part of kernel any way), can run at a time
and that function execution must complete before
another kernel function can be invoked, correct?

Exactly,

- on a lk2.6 ("Preemptive kernel") uni-processor box,
kernel can switch back and forth between two kernel
function executions before they complete (i.e. using
time sharing), right?

Yes,
But not always. There are times where kernel premption is not possible. In places where preemption causes race conditions. preemption is disabled using
preempt_disable()
preempt_enable()
get_cpu()
put_cpu()