Re: kernel question

Davidlohr Bueso A <dbueso@linuxchile.cl> writes:

> diff and patch are your friends, say you have a orginal.c and a
> modificaction.c You could do:
>
> diff -u original.c modification.c > my_patch.patch
>
> Then to apply this patch to the original file you would do:
>
> patch -p1 original.c my_patch.patch
>
> There is quite a bit of info on these tools (plus the man pages).

Once you're comfortable with diff and patch, you might want to get
more automation.  The cvs and rcs tools are older, more common
versioning software tools.

There's svn, a newer versioning tool that is a sequel to cvs.  It has
a central code repository.  I use svn to help me work easily on many
different machines and keep track of all the changes I make.

There are also versioning software options where there is no central
repository.  Bitkeeper (a commercial product) and tla (arch) come to
mind.

--
--Ed L Cashin            |   PGP public key:
  ecashin@uga.edu        |   http://noserose.net/e/pgp/