Re: tcp_rmem

Hi,

tcp_rmem file in /proc/sys/net/ipv4 has 3 entries, the first is the min
rcvbuf that has to eb given to the ocnnections irrespective of the load
conditions(min rcvbuf), the second is the value that is the default rcv_buf
that shld be given, and third is the maxmimum rcvbuf. Now, sysctl_tcp_rmem
contains these three values, that means the max value for wach of these
three shld be sizeof(int), that is 4 bytes. but since this is signed int
the max value would not be 2^32, it wld rather be 2^16-1, and that is
65535, is that not too low ?, using sysctl i can even assign a value as
high has 8388608(8 MB), and maybe even higher(i have tested 8 MB). so what
does the kernel do if we assign them a value greater than 2^16. rather the
default vallue for the highest possible allocation is defined in the kernel
as 174760. How does the kernel handle that ?
I hope I clould get across my doubt clearly.

thanks
Amit

Christophe Lucas <c.lucas@ifrance.com>@nl.linux.org on 05/27/2004 03:45:59
PM