Re: SATA DVD in Linux, apparently not yet

> > After plugging in a SATA DVD and seeing it not work:
> From: [offline 1 of 3]
> Date: 05 May 2004 12:26:39 -0700
> Where on earth did you find a SATA DVD?

Low hanging fruit.  Mass produced toys.  These have been widely
available, in parts sold separately, for at least the last six months??

Something wrong with my English?

So far as I know, manufacturers commonly do mass-produce one drive with
a popular kind of cabling, and then solder on dongles inside a single
plastic box, to give us all the other flavours we want.  So me building
my own drive accurately simulates the drives we will see hereafter.

> From: Jeff Garzik <jga...@pob...>
> > Assertion failed!
> > dev->class == ATA_DEV_ATA, ...
> Yeah, someone buy me a SATA DVD drive!

Offline I will hunt for a donor.  Meanwhile,

US$17 + tax + shipping could answer this need, for anyone willing to
loan to this effort an internal ATAPI CD or DVD?

Me, I built my SATA DVD from old parts, possibly including:

Koutech Systems, Inc.
ASA150D
Serial ATA-to-IDE Adapter Kit
http://www.koutech.com/proddetail.asp?linenumber=153

Specs for the Koutech include:

() Serial ATA at 1.5Gbps (150MB/sec)
() Compliant with Serial ATA 1.0 specification
() Supports PIO Mode 0-4
() Supports UDMA data transfer rates of 66/100/133/150 MBytes/sec
() Supports Serial ATA Power Save mode
() Supports ATAPI devices; such as, CD-ROM, CD-R/RW, DVD-ROM
() Supports Windows(R) 98SE/Me/NT 4.0/2000/XP

> From: [offline 2 of 3]
> From: [offline 3 of 3]

Relevant web search results given to me today include:

Ultra ATA 133 to Serial ATA Converter Board
http://www.compgeeks.com/details.asp?InvtId=ST-101L
US$16 + tax + shipping
[Only 7 left]

IDE TO Serial ATA Adapter / Converter,[CSIDESATAADP] , #70
http://www.cpustuff.com/cpu/customer/product.php?productid=70&cat=6&page=1
US$17 + tax + shipping

Pat LaVarre