Re: Problem with packt transmission

Hi Vijay,

* check your gateway settings

* check your firewall configration

* try pinging normal interfaces

or mail in some more details about this virtual interface
& all other network settings.

-Kishore

>>> vijaykumar v <vij@it.iitb.ac.in> 05/04/04 06:16AM >>>
Hi,
   I implemented a virtual network interface which uses the ethernet
card to transmit and recieve packets.

I installed this module on two hosts A and B. Here is what happens when
I send a (ping)packet from one host to another -
    a. The packet is transmitted from A
    b. The packet is recieved at B
    c. A ping response gets generated in host B.
        The ethereal on machine B shows ping reply being *transmitted*.
        I verified all the fields of the packet - everything inluding
        the checksum is perfect.
    d. Host A recieves no such packet.

To the interface, request and reply are two equivalent packets. I dont
know why replys dont get sent. Recieving multiple packets is also fine.
I tried to put broadcast mac address on all frames - even then the same
situation repeats. This behaviour happens 10 out of 10 times.

The problem is not only with ping. Its with all type of pkts - responses
dont come out of the ethernet card. eg., when I send a SYN, ethereal
shows a SYN/ACK being sent, but is not actually transmited.

What can be the chances/reason of a packet not getting transmitted after
ethereal showing that the packet is transmitted. ifconfig on the machine
shows zero packets dropped from the eth0 interface.

Any help will be great.

ciao,
Vij

         V.Vijayakumar   http://www.it.iitb.ac.in/~vij/

   "Anything less than a conscious commitment to the important
        is an unconscious commitment to the unimportant."