Re: Installing Linux Kernel 2.6.5

Rakesh

Well, first of all, I suspect that you are going to have a hard time upgrading a Redhat 7.3 system to a 2.6 kernel. There are a couple of packages that need to be upgraded in order to get 2.6 working. Module utils is the big one. Here's a link that I found talking about how it's done.

http://kerneltrap.org/node/view/799/3667

As for compiling and installing the kernel, you want to do a "make menuconfig" (or xconfig or gconfig, your choice), then run "make", then "make modules_install". After that's all done, copy <your source dir>/arch/i386/boot/bzImage to /boot and name it whatever you want. Add that kernel to your boot loader, and you should be set. Make sure that you follow the instructions on that webpage though, since there will be a lot of packages that will need to be upgraded before it will work.

Marc

rakesh wrote:
Hi All,
My Hardware :
A PC with AMD k5 processor .Hard disk capacity 6GB
Goal :
My Goal is to intall 2.6.5 in my PC.
What I have and done:
a) I have redhat 7.3 installed in my PC with boot loader as GRUB.
b) Downloaded kernel 2.6.5 from kernel.org
c) Extracted the src /usr/src/linux-2.6.5/
d) Did make config.
e) Sucessfull build.
What I have done in /boot directory :
a) I copied the new config file ie config-2.6.5
b) I copied System.map-2.6.5 and made System.map point to it.
c) Copied vmlinux-2.6.5 d) In grub directory edited the menu.lst file to include 2.6.5 without adding the initrd image line.
Now when I reboot two options are displayed I selected my new kernel ie 2.6.5 saying that vmlinuz is not found ies perfectly true . I dont know how to make vmlinuz for the new kernel . Please anyone can help me.
Also please let me know the steps I am following are right or wrong ? if I am missing any please let me know what are they.
Thanks
Rakesh