Re: Basic understanding about sk_buff packet handling

omanakuttan wrote:
1) i want to add two fields of each 4 bytes in sk_buff structure what is the
effect of it on kernel packet processing? Is there any -ve effect?
No -ve effect. Even if it has, there is no one stopping you to heck with
kernel :-)

IMHO, the fields are ordered so as to facilitate faster access. Adding fields amy affect the performance adversely. I am not sure about this, though. :-) regards, Om.

I disagree, the order of the fields in a struct should have absolutely no effect on performance. Accessing one location in memory should be just as fast as accessing another, since it's Random Access Memory. If the fields were accessed sequentially then you would be right, but they aren't.

Marc

-- Kernelnewbies: Help each other learn about the Linux kernel. Archive: http://mail.nl.linux.org/kernelnewbies/ FAQ: http://kernelnewbies.org/faq/